Monday, October 15, 2007

Arts in the city

Cambridge arts and artists were in full force over the weekend. Friday night after campaigning, I took my daughter to see the Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre's production of Covens. Beautiful, powerful and provocative, it runs through October 28 and is definitely worth seeing. The setting of the Sanctuary Theatre at the Old Cambridge Baptist Church added to the experience. It's a wonderful space -- I'm glad the city has helped in its restoration with community preservation grants.

Arts Central, was held this weekend -- a great effort by the Central Square Business Association to promote arts, businesses and Central Square. (I missed the fashion show this year -- I was a model a few years ago but it's probably better for all involved if I don't quit the day job...)

I also had the chance to stop by Joan Brigham's garden for her Duchamp Readymade Installation and talk. The exhibit's great -- Joan's replicas and updates of Duchamp's Readymades are fabulous, and I want her to include it on a future Friends of the Cambridge Library Secret Gardens Tour. Her talk was enlightening, presenting a modern day twist on Duchamp's views on utility, art and context.

For me, the weekend was yet another reminder of the importance of our arts community in what makes Cambridge Cambridge.

1 comments:

Zann said...

Too bad ArtsCentral was poorly run. It neglected to even mention THE arts organization in Central Square, The Dance Complex. And there was no listing of concurrent concerts and an open house being held at Green Street Studios and The Dance Complex.